Old August 15th 06, 07:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Not being let off the bus - this cant be correct?

asdf wrote:

On 15 Aug 2006 06:22:32 -0700, Mizter T wrote:

Emerency exit buttons cannot be disabled, but as a poster has pointed
out elsewhere they can be counter-acted by the driver pressing and
holding the close button. I've seen shady characters use them on
multiple occasions to get off the bus. One should bear in mind that
using the emergency exit button will be against the rules so you could
conceivably end up in trouble for using it in a non-emergency.

Really? Is it actually illegal?

It would appear so. Section 4.5 of TfL's Conditions of Carriage [1]
states:

-----
"For safety reasons, on our buses, in our bus stations and on London
Underground stations and trains you must not:
[...]
* use emergency exits except in an emergency or when instructed to do
so by our staff.

You may be prosecuted for disobeying these requirements.

Additionally:
* on our bus services, you must board or alight from the vehicle only
at official bus stops except in places where we advertise the bus
service as being operated as 'hail and ride'
-----

Also if you look at page 3 of the Conditions of Carriage you'll find a
list of other documents (statutes, regulations and byelaws) that "set
out your rights and duties in other particular circumstances".

Of particular relevance to bus travel is the "Public Service Vehicle
(Conduct of Drivers, Inspectors, Conductors and Passengers) Regulations
1990 (as amended in 2002) ('the Conduct Regulations')".

And no, I haven't read the aforementioned regulations, but I guess they
might have something to say about how passengers shouldn't use
emergency exits when there isn't an emergency.

[1]
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...y06.pdf#page=8