Old August 15th 06, 11:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Bus numbering

Iain wrote:
"Orienteer" wrote in
k:

There used to be, but no longer!

Central bus routes were 1 - 199, single deck routes 200-299, country
buses north of the Thames 300-399, south 400-499, trolleybuses
500-699, Greenline routes 700 - 799.

What about the W-prefixed buses? I've variously heard that the W stands
for Walthamstow, Woodford, and even West (which seems unlikely seeing as
they're mostly based around northeast London).

Is there any official reason why (a) the W prefix was brought in, and
(b) why they still use it?

Iain

I am sure that there hasn't been a W based on Woodford, at least for
many decades. I think there were two versions of W relatively
recently. Mainly it was routes around, and based at, Wood Green.
There was one W route based in Walthamstow, which was the W21 circular
route, but this was replaced by the 212 and various kinds of 97 around
1979ish I think.