Old August 18th 06, 10:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Ang Gilham Ang Gilham is offline

Default Oyster Question

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 10:50:51 +0100, "Nigel Pendse"
wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote in message
roups.com
Kev wrote:

What zones does a prepay Oyster card cover?

Er, all the London zones. But I think there may be some confusion
here.

snip

*Very important point*
Oyster Pre-Pay is not valid on National Rail (i.e. overground trains)
apart from a few exceptions [1]. This is set to change but not for
another couple of years at least.

I wonder if Oyster can be used on Thameslink (aka FCC) between Wimbledon
and Farringdon? It's obviously allowed on the Tube between the same
stations, and the same Oyster card readers/barriers apply regardless of
which train is taken, so the system won't know which route was followed.
But would a ticket inspector on the FCC train regard it as a non-valid
fare?

Judging by what happened to me on the North London Line last week,
you'd be judged a non-valid fare. I was on my way back from Lord's to
Kew via the Bakerloo and NLL, and there was a huge Silverlink and
British Transport Police presence at Willesden Junction; when my
prepay Oyster was read, I was made to go out through the barriers, get
a single ticket and then come back in. Given that TfL will deduct a
price equivalent to that of a one-day travelcard from the Oyster card,
the fact that I can't use the bloody thing as a travelcard on a route
that I'm extremely likely to use is becoming more and more of a pain.

Angela