Old August 19th 06, 12:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Eurostars in West London

wrote:

Fig wrote:
How on earth did the depot get the name 'North Pole'?

From the nearby North Pole Junction, which is near to North Pole Road,

W10. Many railway junctions are named after nearby landmarks such as
roads.

Thugh one can't help but feel it was called North Pole depot rather
than Scrubs Lane depot because it just sounded so neat - it is after
all the depot on the northern end of the Eurostar operations. Before I
realised there was a North Pole Road I always thought that it was such
abstract reasoning alone that led to the depot's name.

I wonder if the new Temple Mills depot shouldn't also have a more
imaginative, evocative name. The road right outside the depot is Orient
Way, but Orient Way depot is just a little far fetched given the
unlikelyhood of direct E* services from UK to Asia happening anytime
soon! Likewise there's a Perth Road nearby, but Perth depot is equally
ridiculous given the unfortunately remote possibility that that E*
services will ever manage to make it north of Watford let along north
of the border.

So my sensible suggestion for an alternative is Hackney Marsh depot, as
the marshes are famous around the world for their 88 football pitches.