Old August 24th 06, 09:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london
asdf asdf is offline

Default TfL give up on FCC

On 23 Aug 2006 06:02:05 -0700, Jonathan Morris wrote:

However, if you are transferring at Moorgate (or Stratford, or West
Ham, etc) from the tube to NR then it does matter, as depending on
where you are coming from the trains leave from completely different
platforms. For example, if you arrived at West Ham on the Jubilee line
to catch a train for Southend, imagine if you followed the signs marked
"National Rail" only to end up on the NLL platforms...

Keep the National Rail bit, but have individual signs saying where the
trains go to.

I don't think that...

leave the signs at Moorgate as "Thameslink" and "Great Northern Electrics" -
even if the franchise holders change names, the train routes and destinations
won't...

...makes sense. *You* and *I* know what Thameslink is/was. *You* know
what Great Northern Electrics was (and then Wagn and then, technically,
GN and now FCC GN) but it isn't as useful as saying 'Trains to
Bedford/Brighton' or 'Cambridge' or however you wish to do it.

I disagree. It's far better to have consistent (and reasonably well
publicised) route names, and use those. Using "Trains to Stevenage"
for the GN at Moorgate (as mentioned in the OP) struck me as
particularly unhelpful, and exemplifies the problems with this
approach.