Old August 24th 06, 07:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
Jerry Jerry is offline

Default Traffic Orders

"Dr Ivan D. Reid" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 18:05:30 +0100, John Rowland

wrote in :

What's the easiest way to find out whether the right turn from Peckham
Hill
Street to Peckham High Street is banned? The geometry of the junction
suggests that it is banned, but doesn't make it impossible.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll...02494&t=k&om=1

There are no signs or road markings banning it. Windows Live Local thinks
it's banned, and so does my TomTom. Maybe it used to be banned, but isn't
anymore, and they haven't rebuilt the junction? It seems odd that you
would
have to go through two separate stop lines and two separate traffic light
phases to do a legal right turn.

Obviously you can't be prosecuted for doing it, but I'd rather not be
driving down there one day only to find that signs which had been removed
by
vandals had been reinstated.

The big question is whether there's a camera the
===
News Release
August 14, 2006

Enforcement of Illegal Traffic Movements

"Drivers who disobey road markings and traffic signs, including banned
right turns, no-entry, one-way streets and box junctions will be hit with
a Penalty Charge Notice for £50, if caught on camera from 1st. September
2006. The council will also fine drivers who block yellow .zig-zag. keep
clear markings outside schools.

snipped

We could do with a few of those near me, especially box junction cameras.
Then we need to get box junctions painted on roundabouts so that traffic
"stuck" on it doesn't block other traffic unnecessarily (i.e. traffic coming
from right to left where I want to go straight across).
That'd reduce congestion.

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS
Collaboration,