Old August 26th 06, 05:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
Martin Smith Martin Smith is offline

Default Traffic Orders

Ian wrote:
"John Rowland" wrote in message
What's the easiest way to find out whether the right turn from Peckham
Hill Street to Peckham High Street is banned? The geometry of the junction
suggests that it is banned, but doesn't make it impossible.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll...02494&t=k&om=1

There are no signs or road markings banning it. Windows Live Local thinks
it's banned, and so does my TomTom. Maybe it used to be banned, but isn't
anymore, and they haven't rebuilt the junction? It seems odd that you
would have to go through two separate stop lines and two separate traffic
light phases to do a legal right turn.

Obviously you can't be prosecuted for doing it, but I'd rather not be
driving down there one day only to find that signs which had been removed
by vandals had been reinstated.

Try the highways department of the local council. However, looking at the
picture from Goggle it looks like the turn is very difficult. To turn right
out of Peckham Hill Road you would need to cross the right turn lane from
Peckham High Street. That wouldn't be possible if any vehicles were already
using it. I imagine the direction signs make this clear.

The traffic in the photos appears to be turning right from Peckham Hill Road
into Commercial Way, and then left into Southampton Way before turning right
into Peckham Road.

Yes, that would probably be the best way to do it, I don't think there
is a no right turn sign up, I go through it frequently, but it is pretty
obvious there is only one way to go, but being Peckham I have seen
people attempting to turn right there, but getting seriously hassled by
everyone else around.

--
Martin