Old August 26th 06, 09:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Frimberley Peter Frimberley is offline

Default TfL Journey Planner - how dare you walk, while we use your money to fill the streets with empty buses!

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 17:46:27 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

They've now pretty much disabled walking routes, the *******s. Even for a
route like (St Faiths Road (x) Thurlow Park Road) to (Lanercost Close (x)
Christchurch Road) it says you should do 2 minutes walk, 1 minute on a bus
(a single stop, I believe) and then 2 minutes walk at the end, giving a
"maximum journey time of 4 minutes". Unless the P13 runs approximately every
30 seconds, I can't see how the maximum journey time would be 4 minutes.
Even if you set the date to Christmas Day, it still suggests using a
(non-existent) bus.

Better still, I know the walk from my house to the nearest train station
takes 12-15 minutes, but the JP suggests a 20 minute walk to a nondescript
point on a hail and ride route which is further than the station, and then
getting the bus back to the train station.

And if you tell it to use a route without buses, it says "Journey Planner
cannot find any routes using these settings". *******s. It could last week.

Also, the walking routes have had all streets removed from the maps. Perhaps
they were getting fed up with me pointing out errors in the walking routes
generated.

Then again, maybe they didn't want people to realise that the walking route
between two arbitrary points in London usually takes only about 50% longer
than the quickest public transport route. But whatever the reason, there is
no way that this publicly funded body is attempting to serve the public when
they pull stunts like this. Like the police, they're not even pretending any
more.

Surely anyone with half a brain would consult something like
streetmap.co.uk if they wanted a walking route between points they
know to be less than 20 minutes apart.

You are being unnecessarily facetious.