Old August 31st 06, 06:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Smyth Peter Smyth is offline

Default Oyster - Please Help!

"James" wrote in message
I've just got myself an Oyster. I live in zone 5 and work in zone 1.
However, I'm extremely confused, despite reading lots on the topic! I hope
someone can clarify the situation for me.

I ordered myself 3 months of Travelcard for zones 1-5, thinking that this
was the best deal for me. However, many people have told me that pay as
you go would work out cheaper for me. Fine, but I can't find anywhere that
I can work out what it would cost me!

I live in zone 5 on the Piccadilly line, and have to travel into zone 1,
change to the Northern line, and travel a few stops to my destination also
in zone 1. I then do the same in reverse to get home.

This will make up the majority of my daily journies. Occasionally it may
differ, but it will still be zone 5 to zone 1 and back, perhaps with a
change. I will rarely use any other form of transport, and will largely
only use it Monday to Friday.

So will pay as you go really be cheaper, or should I stick with what I've
got? And if I do need to, is it possible to change now that I've bought
these 3 months of Travelcard?

It depends on whether you ever travel out of the peak times (before 0700 or
after 1900). If you regularly travel early or late then pay as you go will
be cheaper otherwise you are probably better off with a season ticket.

Peter Smyth