Old August 31st 06, 09:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default South Kensington to Heathrow Terminal 3 on Tuesday

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 17:00:45 +0100, Steve Fitzgerald ]
wrote:

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

Everything was fine until Hounslow East, where we proceeded to sit in
the station for 20-25 minutes due to a signal failure at Hatton Cross.
Then the driver announced that the train would be returning to the West
End. (I will say, I very much enjoyed the driver's informal
announcements. Informal announcements are strictly forbidden here in
New York!)

Well as in all things there are good and bad. Some drivers don't bother
at all, some you can't hear even though they make the effort, some talk
in "railway speak" which I can understand but most passengers cannot,
some are overhelpful with microscopically detailed commentaries while
there is a small group who pitch it very nicely with good intonation,
friendly manner and simple, polite language. Humour usually works but
occasionally it jars - for me anyway as it can sound very unprofessional
even if the passengers are smiling.

I wonder if it was Mr Fitzgerald at the mic?

Afraid not - I'm annual leave for two weeks. Although, had it been me,
I would have made similar announcements - I do believe very much in
telling people what's going on (in plain speak too!), even if I haven't
an awful lot to tell them. I believe it to be reassuring.

On holiday again!? You're never at work.

Now we could have a discussion on all this 'everything is running fine'
rubbish

Well I get very annoyed when I've had to wait for 8 mins for a Northern
Line train and I'm told via the PA that there is a good service every
120 seconds. It makes my blood boil because a good service means I
wouldn't be waiting long enough to hear one announcement never 4 or 5 of
the damn things.

I do like the idea of the whiteboards / electronic screens with the
status info - neat and easy to use.

--
Paul C