Old August 31st 06, 11:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london
David of Broadway David of Broadway is offline

Default South Kensington to Heathrow Terminal 3 on Tuesday

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
Not at all. We're strongly encouraged to make PAs when things go wrong
(which is, of course, how it should be) and regularly at other times. We
are monitored from time to time by 'mystery shoppers' to ensure we do
this. There isn't really a script as such on LU - we're expected to be
proactive and give useful announcements (YMMV on what is useful of course).

Oh, certainly, announcements are not only encouraged but are required in
New York when something's gone wrong. (If anything, the initial
announcement tends to be made much sooner in New York.) But there are
definite scripts that cover most routine issues, and even when there's
no specific script, there are certain things that are not to be said.

For instance, dedicated announcers (specially trained conductors who
have the task of making station PA announcement) are not allowed to
announce that a train is delayed. Instead, they announce that the train
is "running at slower speeds." Even though that means something
different entirely.

A few years ago, I discovered a conductor on the 1 who managed to make
even routine station announcements witty. Since the 1 is my home line,
I ran into him on occasion. Several months later I found myself back on
his train, but he was making the standard boring announcements. I asked
around and found out that he had been reprimanded for not following the
Blue Book.

Incidentally, conductors in New York are required to make routine
station announcements at all stations (except, of course, on newer cars
that make their own announcements). In London, on cars that don't have
automated announcements, it seems like many drivers don't bother. Are
routine station announcements not required? And, while I'm busy asking
questions, what's with the (seemingly) automated announcements over the
station PA's (i.e., outside the train) on the Piccadilly line that would
seem to be more appropriate on the train itself?

As I've only been a driver for 4 years or so, I still feel I think like
a passenger and tend to make those extra PAs if I feel it would be
helpful (ie. trouble ahead, heard on the train radio). For what it's
worth, I had my TD1 a couple of weeks ago (it's sort of like an annual
driving test for train drivers we have to do) and one of the comments I
got back in my feedback was 'helpful and confident PAs' smug git!!.
And if that nice Mr Delieu does mine next year, I'll expect nothing less
again

Sounds good!
--
David of Broadway