Old September 2nd 06, 04:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Jonathan Morris Jonathan Morris is offline

Default 2 jailed for railway graffiti

Graham Murray wrote:
Why do they have to spend money clearing up after them? Does 'well
done' graffiti actually do much harm? Some of it can be very artistic
and can add to the character of an area, and as far as trains are
concerned might even be considered to be preferable to the garish
colour schemes used by some TOCs.

How much is well done? Mostly it's a simple tag, which requires no
skill (take a pen and paper, now scribble some initials or a name; hey
presto.. your very own tag).

I'd agree that some stuff you see doesn't look too bad, but it's not up
to you or I to decide whether we should be 'adding to the character of
an area'. Covering the cab window of a train probably isn't
particularly safe either.

More important though is the fact that people don't feel safe around
graffitti, even if a lot of it is done when they're not there (rather
than the image of a train being attacked with helpless passengers
looking on).

Jonathan