Old September 3rd 06, 12:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
asdf asdf is offline

Default 2 jailed for railway graffiti

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 19:04:04 +0100, Christian Hansen wrote:

I object to paying my good tax money to keep miscreants like this in jail for
even a few months, much less the rest of their lives.

There are a couple of tried and true ways of dealing with this kind of person:

1) Make them clean the outside of the trains they (or others) have spoiled.
Then make them clean the insides of trains for a long period of community
service. They won't want to try it again. The only problem with this is that
the workers whose jobs these are aren't keen to let the miscreants take them
over. The solution to that is to make the workers the managers of these kids
while they're doing the work.

2) If they're actually artistic, besides (1) give them a legal canvas to do
their work on. It worked in New York City when I lived there. This does not
work unless (1) is also used.

LU have a similar tactic to this. Trains of withdrawn 1983 stock are
placed at strategic locations around the network. They are then
allowed to become completely covered in graffiti. Each time one of
these decoys is vandalised, it's one less cleanup job on an actual
service train.

;-)