Old September 3rd 06, 01:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
John Mara John Mara is offline

Default 2 jailed for railway graffiti

wrote:

That's a curious interpretation of the duty of government! My house is
private property too, but I'd be pretty shocked if I were told that
someone who vandalised it would not be searched for or prosecuted
because it was private property and therefore my duty to find and
obtain redress privately.

I would not be at all shocked if the police took a report, gave you a
copy for your insurance company, and filed the report away.

John, you misunderstand the purpose of the criminal justice system. It
is not to obtain redress between citizens - which is why compensation
is rarely paid and only in nominal sums.

I understand the purpose of the criminal justice system. I am saying
that privatization looks good on paper because many costs are still
borne by the taxpayers. The railway companies do not provide adequate
security for their facilities and they expect the government to make up
for their lack of effort.

John Mara