Old September 8th 06, 07:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] scotboy1994@hotmail.co.uk is offline

Default Using season ticket for part journey

Peter Smyth wrote:
"elyob" wrote in message
If I have a season ticket between two stations (not travelcard ..opposite
way, in fact), can I use this season ticket to get off at any station
inbetween without incurring any trouble with ticket barriers? I mean, if I
had Waterloo to Brighton season ticket, could I use this same ticket to go
to Wimbledon?

I'm guessing it should be okay, but am wondering whether the barriers are
clever enough.

There are no valid routes from London to Brighton that pass through
Wimbledon so you could not exit there. However you could use your season
ticket to exit at stations on a valid route, eg East Croydon.

Even though the ticket is valid at East Croydon (or any other
intermediate station on a permitted route), the automatic barriers may
well not open. I believe the barriers have trouble with the limited
amount of information that can be conveyed on the ticket's magnetic
strip, and can't interpolate validity of tickets that aren't coded to
directly relate to that station.

I guess it would be possible, with a software upgrade to the barriers,
for a routing guide check to be carried out on obscure tickets - which
would probably take significantly longer than just rejecting the ticket
and telling you to seek (human brain) assistance!