Old September 8th 06, 11:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default Shepherd's Bush Market, Wood Lane - H&C line developments

Peter Frimberley wrote:
On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 11:57:07 +0100, Colum Mylod
wrote:

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 03:27:53 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

... so the Wood Lane name is just a blackmail tactic by LU, and will be
changed to White City as soon as the owners of the centre fork out.

Will the SC be called White City though? The marketing types are
probably pouring over this and pondering such names as "retail
solutions London W12"!

I don't know that the shopping centre is named yet (not publicly
anyway). Everything that Westfield and previously Multiplex churn out
just seems to call it "the White City Project". I think you are right
and a funky name will emerge in due course. Don't think it can involve
W12 though as the shopping centre on the South side of Shepherd's Bush
Green is called the W12 Centre isn't it?

Yes. For the new centre, "whitecity" has been around fairly
consistently. Recently, Westfield have taken an interest in branding
their shopping centres, so it may end up being "Westfield whitecity",
but I doubt the White City part will be lost - Brent Cross is still
Brent Cross, after all.

The new station could also serve the 5000 or so BBC employees which
considering the car parks' sizes could exceed the numbers going by
tube to the new SC.

Exactly. The station will serve a lot more than just the shopping
centre. If you look at the shopping centre plans on the LBH&F planning
website, whilst the "Wood Lane" station is next to the bigger of the
planned bus stations, it's really at the "back door" of the shopping
centre. The grand front entrance is over the other side where the
Shepherds Bush Central Line station is today (which is scheduled to
get an almost totally new surface building as far as I can tell, just
the escalators being kept), and the National Rail station will soon be
opening. If they were going to petition for a station to be named
after the shopping centre I'm sure it would be the current Shepherd's
Bush Central Line one they'd rename. It's the one that's on the direct
line from Oxford St after all.

The shopping centre is large enough to make fairly good use of two
transport hubs - it should be quite possible to shop your way from
Shepherd's Bush Central to Wood Lane!

Renaming the current Shepherd's Bush (Central) station would pose a lot
of problems - it's much busier than any of the other stations, has a
clear identity given its location by the heart of Shepherd's Bush at the
green and, depending on the name given, might require a renaming of
White City as well. I really don't see it happening.

I think people are reading far too much into this 2010 map. I don't
think anything new on there like station names can be taken as a
definite. They're just "placeholders" based on information available
today.

Perhaps - but a rename of Shepherd's Bush H&C has been on the cards for
a while because it's a long way from the Central line station. The name
of the new H&C station is also up for grabs; whoever created the map
must have asked someone (or been told) about these stations...

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7