Old September 10th 06, 07:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Helen Deborah Vecht Helen Deborah Vecht is offline

Default 2 jailed for railway graffiti

"jonmorris" typed

Pyromancer wrote:
It seems that most of the users spit it out, if the streets and
pavements are any guide. If something can't be used without endangering
public health, it shouldn't be used at all.

I'd have to disagree there. If most people did, the streets would be
far, far, far worse. It's like saying most kids are anti-social. Can
you imagine if that were true? It would be anarchy. Of course, far too
many are but it's certainly not the majority. Not yet, but society is
working on it...!

I chew gum rarely, partly for the reason that I hate having to try and
find somewhere to throw it. I would NEVER spit it out, so wait for a
bin or find a bit of paper so I can put it my pocket. I agree that it's
filthy to spit out (and annoying if you step in it). I prefer the
dissolvable strips to freshen my mouth/breath and not linger on
(there's nothing worse than tasteless gum, which is usually about a
minute after you start chewing it).

If you want an example of where 'most' people do something, take a look
at people who smoke. Look to see if any don't throw the cigarette on
the floor. That's probably not most but ALL.

Jonathan

AIUI Westminster Council spends £9 MILLION per year on chewing gum
removal. I don't know what proportion of gum purchased ends up on the
street. It might only be 10% but it IS a significant problem. Fag ends
are horrible and a fire risk too but are much easier to clear away.

Adults certainly do spit gum round here but we won't discuss their
ethnicity...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.