Old October 5th 03, 03:32 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london
Rizla Ranger UK Rizla Ranger UK is offline

Default Night Buses, Workmans Tickets (history question)

Many thanks for all your help, guys!

Very informative replies.

The questions were in relation to a small family
history project, and I will likely return to ask
some more.

But for now, what were the old LT ticket machines
on buses called? Did they have a manufacturers name
or a colloquial name? I mean the aluminium ones with
black plastic 'cog' on the side (fare selector?) and
a handle to print out the ticket. The print was usually
purple and the machines looked ancient by the late 70's
early 80's.

Again, many thanks for the responses!

Rizla Ranger UK wrote
Hola all

I have questions for those with knowledge
of bus services during the 1930's - 1950's

During this period, were there Nightbuses?
If yes, were there many, or just a few routes?
If so, what were these routes?

What times did these buses operate between and was
the fare pricing the same as daytime operations?

During this period, what were 'Workmans Tickets'?
I've heard this was a special pricing system for
workers in the Docks etc. How did this work?

Were there a list of prescribed occupations which
qualified for 'workmans ticket' and if so, how did
you prove you qualified?

How much below the standard fare did this price fall?

When was the 'workmans ticket' introduced and when did it stop?

Finally, during this period, which were the most common
buses to see throughout East and Central London?

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Apologies for the crosspost

please reply to group