Old September 12th 06, 10:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Fares changes for 2007

James Farrar wrote:

Sure it is. There's posters all over the network comparing the cash
and Oyster PAYG fares.

There might be. But, if you've never heard of Oyster? Likely answer
is that you'll tune out.

If the Mayor wants to go Oyster-only, fine, I have no issue with that.
There are, I believe, other cities where public transport is pre-paid
only, with no cash accepted at stations or on buses. However, there
needs to be a simple, step-by-step set of instructions, and it needs to
be more accessible.

Everyone in this NG knows what Oyster is, how to get one, what it costs
etc, thus if anyone on this NG pays one of these rip-off fares they
have only themselves to blame. You cannot, however, apply this
argument to a non- or poor-English-speaking tourist, or visitor to
London who doesn't frequent big cities and their transport systems, who
would just go to the ticket machine and prod the likely looking button.
You also can't apply this to purchasers of out-boundary through
tickets on LUL and cross-London tickets, which I believe are also
indirectly being hit by these punitive fares.

Neil