Old September 12th 06, 10:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Fares changes for 2007

Londoncityslicker wrote:

They should abolish that £3 Oyster deposit for prepay.

I don't think that's a problem, indeed it's probably a good thing on
environmental and waste terms to prevent people throwing the things on
the floor. Singapore even charges a deposit on its single tickets,
which are issued on an Oyster-like card.

What there needs to be is a way to buy them from vending machines
everywhere, including supermarkets, hotels etc, and to trade them in at
the ticket machine at a station or elsewhere to get the deposit back.
The technology exists; Singapore already uses it. For sales, *any*
sweet machine would do - an Oyster in a small envelope would fit fine.

And should start selling them in vending machines as suggested.
And out them into corner shops and supermarkets.

Yep. They should be on sale at the tills, pre-credited, with the
mobile top-ups and stamps, in every supermarket within the Zones.
There is absolutely no reason why not.

As for free/cheap fares for kids.
The buses have been ruined by kids.
I used to use the bus regularly. Now I cant get on them
They got about two stops. OR just get on for fun.
Or have to tolerate loud and abusive kids for most of my journey.
They should pay their way just like anyone else.
Reduced rates are fine. But totally free is insane.

Agreed.

Neil