Old September 12th 06, 03:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] Mait001@aol.com is offline

Default Fares changes for 2007

Londoncityslicker wrote:
Graham J wrote:
Almost all Oyster fares remain the same except:
-- off-peak bus journeys (from £0.80 to £1.00)

Ouch, 25% fare increase.

Cash fares go up significantly:
-- via Zone 1 singles from £3 to £4 (!)
-- bus singles from £1.50 to £2
-- but paper daily bus passes are frozen, as are non-Z1 travelcards

Surely it is about time they announced a date when cash fares will be
abolished, at least for buses, so at least the punitive increases would make
more sense.

- Under-16s get a 50p Tube single or £1 daily cap on Oyster

How nice for them. I am one of those unconvinced by all these incentives,
especially free bus fares. What is wrong with learning to pay your way in
life at an early age instead of learning to be subsidised?

It is bad enough that school kids bundle onto buses for a two or three stop
journey instead of a five minute walk, preventing other passengers boarding,
but free fares encourages them to bundle on the rear doors as well. If they
wish to encourage the use of public transport by children then fine, but how
about limiting it to evenings, weekends and school holidays instead so it is
encouraging leisure use?

- £4 penalty charge to be introduced on Oyster PAYG for those who do not
touch in and out (from November this year)

Fine, as long as they make an effort to explain exactly where you are
supposed to touch in and out. For example at Farringdon the correct
procedure, verified with TfL, when changing from London Underground to
National Rail and vice versa is to touch out on one platform and touch in on
the other. All the signs do is tell PAYG users to touch the validators, not
under what circumstances and whether they need to look for one.

G.

They should abolish that £3 Oyster deposit for prepay.

For the first time, I obtained an Oyster card today, because I wanted a
1-week Zone 1 and 2 Travelcard. It cost me £22.20 - no £3 deposit was
charged. Was this a mistake?

And should start selling them in vending machines as suggested.
And out them into corner shops and supermarkets.

I got mine in my local sub post office today.

For example. I've got some relatives coming down next week.
We are planning on travelling on the choob.
They probably come down once a year.
It's a pain queuing up and paying £3 deposit.
Would be much easier if we could just get them from a machine free when
you put a tenner on.

As for free/cheap fares for kids.
The buses have been ruined by kids.
I used to use the bus regularly. Now I cant get on them
They got about two stops. OR just get on for fun.
Or have to tolerate loud and abusive kids for most of my journey.
They should pay their way just like anyone else.
Reduced rates are fine. But totally free is insane.