Old September 13th 06, 08:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Fares changes for 2007

Barry Salter wrote:

I spent a week in Nuernberg last month and whilst the information
provision is somewhat better, in that the Journey Planner tells you what
zones you need for a given journey, and the machines are multilingual,
the multimodal ticketing isn't really explained all that well, so
chances are that people who aren't used to how it works (i.e. buy a
Single ticket and it's valid on all modes necessary to reach your
destination) probably end up buying multiple tickets for their journey.

Same with the Strippenkaart. It does say 'overstappen is toegestaan',
but someone who doesn't read Dutch wouldn't know what that meant, and
I've not found it anywhere else in any other language.

There's the other "curiosity" of the Strippenkaart in that it gives you
a specified amount of time to make your journey which isn't always
enough if there are a lot of changes; this is based on the number of
strips stamped. If you think this will be the case (rare, but
possible, it nearly happened to me one evening when waiting for a
connection took a while) it is advantageous to stamp more strips in the
first place, as if you go over you need to stamp again from scratch.
This *isn't* explained anywhere.

Same applies for validation. Not wanting to risk a Penalty Fare, we
validated every ticket we bought, whether it was a Single or a Day
Ticket.

I always work on the basis that it won't do any harm if there's space
for it on the ticket. Usually, I believe, you do need to stamp
everything, but some ticket machines do it for you.

But, yes, it's not explained well enough.

Neil