Old September 15th 06, 09:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Frimberley Peter Frimberley is offline

Default The oyster-only tube

On 15 Sep 2006 00:49:16 -0700, "Neil Williams"
wrote:

Peter Frimberley wrote:

They did announce a new type of ticket machine a few weeks ago that
will fit into many of these spaces. You expect them to do it
overnight?

Call me mad, but I would personally consider it essential to have all
required infrastructure in place before launching a new ticketing
system, and *certainly* before raising prices on the old system to an
effective penalty rate.

TfL have not done this.

Having oyster machines sit there unused during the transition phase,
taking spaces from the cash only machines, would also have provoked
heaps of complaints.

They converted all/most (?) of the "big" ticket machines (which used
to have a button per station) to new hybrid Oyster/Credit Card/Cash
Sales machines; they also put in loads of those "Quick Fare" machines,
or upgraded existing "Quick" machines to Oyster features.

It's a balance, they can't please all of the passengers all of the
time. We are in a migratory phase. Right now the only people still
suffering problems are those who can't or won't use the facilities
such as auto-topup which have been made available to them. I fear you
fit into the latter "won't" category for reasons best known to
yourself.

Why don't you just register for auto-topup and avoid the problem
altogether?

Others have stated good reasons why not.

And have been discounted or discredited.

What are *your* reasons for not using auto-topup, just to prove you're
not on some anti-TFL rant purely for the sake of it.