Old September 15th 06, 09:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Frimberley Peter Frimberley is offline

Default Proposal for Park LAne tunnel

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 10:39:18 +0100, "David Jones"
wrote:

Dave Arquati wrote:
kytelly wrote:
About 5 years ago there was some proposal to put park lane into a
tunnel and "re-connect" Hyde park to Mayfair. Obviuously this would
be very expensive which I'm sure is why it never proceeded but does
anyone have any other information about it?

Can't say I've heard of it. It does sound rather expensively
pointless - there can't be enough pedestrian traffic between Hyde
Park and Mayfair to warrant such a scheme. I imagine that most
pedestrians on that side of the Park are heading for Marble Arch or
Hyde Park Corner, and for everyone else there are subways which,
albeit not ideal, don't seem to cater for too many people anyway.

You miss the point that the main benefit was supposed to be the
increased area of parkland available. More specifically, to return to
Hyde Park the huge area of park stolen for the benefit of few
motorists. The existing grassed areas between the roadways are not
much used because (i) they are not that pleasant being near the
thundering traffic; (ii) the access to them is not particularly
obvious from within the Park.

The huge area? What, about 0.05% of the park total?

Rather that and have cars able to move about and their engines run
quite efficiently, than have either a less-lanes solution that would
block up and have the same cars sit there idly belching, or a tunnel
that would need ventilation at a small number of smogtastic hotspots.