Old October 6th 03, 12:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Public Transport Expansion

In article ,
(Ben Nunn) wrote:

Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was Paul Terry
), in message
who said:
In message , Paul Weaver
writes

Looking at the history of the tube, the vast majority of it was built
between 1890 and the first world war.

Actually, comparatively little of today's tube network had been built
by then.

Hmm... if one includes all the bits that already existed under alternate
ownership, I'd guess that around two thirds of the current network was
already in place in 1914.

Not by route mileage. The 1914 tube network was a tiny fraction of today's
tubes. The surface (Circle/District/Hammersmith & City/Metropolitan/East
London) network was more of less complete by then, though.

--
Colin Rosenstiel