Old September 21st 06, 02:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default "Bus filters pump out more toxins"

Paul Corfield wrote:
On 21 Sep 2006 07:18:03 -0700, "Mizter T"
wrote:

I've been pretty impressed with the experimental hydrogen fuel cell
buses that operate on the RV1 route, which emit only water vapour
[1]. I wonder if that's not the way forward - obviously it would
involve an enormous change of infrastructure, but perhaps there
could be a more comprehensive trial of fuel cell buses in London.
Obviously the cost is a major issue - but TfL has a considerable
level of indirect buying power in that it can specifiy to bus
operators what type of vehicles they use.

[1] http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/fuel-cell-buses.asp

Well yes but they are incredibly expensive to purchase and have a
relatively limited operating range. Jolly nice technology but things
have to move on a long way to get them to be economically rational
for operators.

Also, although there is zero pollution on the street with fuel-cell
buses, my understanding is that a lot of energy and/or pollution and/or
fossil fuel is involved in producing the hydrogen, so it will need
better technology to make this a respectable fuel source for the future.

--
Richard J.