Old September 26th 06, 09:38 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Graeme Wall Graeme Wall is offline

Default Oyster System to become national by default. Is this a cunning plot- shock horror

In message
Roland Perry wrote:

In message om, at
00:45:18 on Tue, 26 Sep 2006, Neil Williams
remarked:
But if we are going to have cards being used like money then shouldn't
the banks be running it and not some transport quango? (I understand
Mint are already giving it a try)

Nottingham University and Mastercard (I think) tried it with contact
smartcards a number of years ago. Remember Mondex? I think it was
before its time, and it would work now if universally accepted.

The main trial was in Swindon Town, plus four Universities elsewhere.

Exeter was one.

Didn't work; but as you say it might have been a little early.

If the Exeter one was typical there were only a limited number of places that
would accept it, mainly on campus. The advantage Oyster has is that it
already in widespread use for its primary function, therefore any other
London business willing to use it will be opting into a large and growing
userbase from the start. However with the almost universal use of credit and
debit cards for transactions of more than a few pounds then what niche is it
going to fill? Automated newsagents would be one, now there's a thought...

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.