Old September 26th 06, 12:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

Default Lack of trains on the drain

On 25/09/2006 18:34, Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
In article . com,
" writes

I used the "revamped" service yesterday afternoon, and noticed no
discernible difference, save for the raised platform area in the middle
at each station.

A huge amount of cost and inconvenience for no discernible improvement:
as I said on this forum before the work even started! That's the
trouble with construction-company-led P.F.I. contracts of this sort: a
huge amount of money spent on cosmetic "improvements",

Um, it sounds like they *haven't* spent a load of money on cosmetic
"improvements".

for which huge
amounts are paid, rather than the basic service improvement.

The basic task was to replace the track and signalling. Shaving seconds
off the round-trip time on the line means an extra train or two per
hour, increasing the number of passengers that can be carried per hour.

Having been unable to use the drain Monday morning (09:00) due to a
stalled/failed train at the Waterloo end) I did get my ride home last
night, and ride into work this morning on it.

As others have said - for 5 months and 2 weeks it looks like a poor job
to me.

Yes the ride is *much* smoother now (And that's a nice thing) but;

The platforms at each end have been given a lick of paint (if that), had
the raised area installed (Which is only a decking like surface), and
the raised kerbing along the platform edge.

The trains are filthy (externally) again - mostly pidgin droppings as
before.

The clock at the Waterloo end (Departures) is *still* wrong - if I get a
spare moment I'll mention it to them tonight on my way home.

I'm yet to suffer a signal/TC failure, but give it a week or 2 (I was
away when the line reopened)

And I'm still waiting for 1 very heavy rain, 2 a thunderstorm to see
what happens.

All in all for the extra time and hassle it added to my daily trip I'm
not that impressed at all.

/grumble over/