Old September 28th 06, 04:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.local.thames-valley
AstraVanMan AstraVanMan is offline

Default Railair Heathrow-Reading CANCELLED

"Peter Smyth" wrote:
Don't know what's going on but FGW cancelled the Railair to Reading
this evening and pax had to go via Hayes & Harlington Station. That is
apparently via a 140 bus from Heathrow to H&H, then Thames Strain
(sorry FGWL) stopping all stations to Reading. Great when folk have
paid £15 for the journey by coach. Anyone know what or why? I have
heard rumours that FGW are cancelling the entire LHR-Reading service in
the near future - perhaps they have already. CJB.

Presumably because of this
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/b...re/5386632.stm

Telling passengers to use alternative routes seems more sensible than
letting them sit on a coach for hours stuck on the M4.

This is one thing I've never understood. I fail to see how they can run a
reliable service when 90% of the journey involves one of the most
notoriously clogged sections of motorway in the country. They've got
getting in and out of Reading to a T, with only the A4 from Cemetery
Junction to Thames Valley Park/A3290 being without a bus lane, but relying
on the M4 from J10 to J4 is madness. Rush hour accidents on there can quite
easily seriously clog the motorway until around 10-11am, which would affect
a fair few services.

Having said that though - what is desperately needed is fast services from
Reading to Hayes + Harlington, as the only services that stop at H+H from
Reading are the slow "stop everywhere" services, which is madness
considering what a crucial link it is. I say add H+H to all services that
just call at Twyford and/or Slough and/or Maidenhead, with possibly a few
services just going ReadingH+HPaddington. That, and just get rid of the
RailAir coaches altogether. With the roads around there, the trains are by
far the best way to go.

--
"For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."