Old September 29th 06, 06:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default 'Mystery Travellers'

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 18:04:00 +0100, "Neil Watson"
wrote:

I've been aware of supermaket chains in particular employing "mystery
shoppers" (people who turn up to a shop in normal clothes and assess / rate
the shop and service on a range of factors), but never known of this being
done by London Buses as well. Until I got on a bus this afternoon, where
there was a woman with a little black filofax-style book sat halfway down
the bus ticking and crossing away and adding a couple of notes. If the
operators get extra points for dirty buses and drivers seeing how many OAPs
they can try and help fall over before they can find a seat, then someone's
doing quite well this afternoon...

This is standard practice for TfL Buses and for LU where mystery
shoppers are used to evaluate all sorts of aspects of the service. Some
elements are linked directly to contractual payments.

I think there is also a separate stream of inspections for driver
quality / driving standards.
--
Paul C