Old October 7th 03, 09:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Crossrail preferred route

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 12:16:09 +0000 (UTC), "Jonn Elledge"
wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 23:19:02 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:
A few months ago, they were planned to terminate at Paddington! I guess

that
this is still the case.

How very odd. I'll admit I've not followed Crossrail very closely of
late but looking at the latest maps it does seem a bit unbalanced
between east and west. In the East it goes roaring out into Essex and
Kent for miles and miles and yet hardly dares step over the Greater
London boundary going west. Most odd.

It's hardly miles to the East - Shenfield is only two stops (and I'd guess
about four miles) beyond Greater London, and Ebbsfleet is five stops, and
about as many miles. It's really not massively further out than, say, Epping
or Watford.

Having said all that, I'd have liked to have seen an all-stops service to
Slough in the West.

We won't argue about distances but this version of Crossrail feels very
biased to Greater London and in particular mayoral ambitions about East
London regeneration than appropriate transport need.

I think some form of agreement to avoid the need to consult with / get
involved with the neighbouring shire counties bordering Greater London
has been cooked up between Ken and the SRA / Govt. This will allow a
"London" solution to be presented as opposed to a proper regional
transport solution which should be the case for something like Crossrail
IMO.

As usual we are going for the minimalist option for a transport solution
rather than one that meets identified transport needs. The SRA
presumably don't want more electrification on the GW because it might
start people campaigning for wires going further west when they would
seemingly prefer a diesel option for the next 30 years or so.

All so very shortsighted.
--
Paul C