Old October 7th 03, 11:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jonn Elledge Jonn Elledge is offline

Default Crossrail preferred route

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

We won't argue about distances but this version of Crossrail feels very
biased to Greater London and in particular mayoral ambitions about East
London regeneration than appropriate transport need.

I agree the whole thing looks politically motivated, but in this case I
don't think that's really a bad thing. The eastern end of the Thames really
does need regenerating, and Canary Wharf could do with another line to the
centre of town as I believe the existing ones are already pushing capacity.
What's more, the Shenfield line is one of the busiest stretches of national
rail in the London area (there are 12 trains per hour as far as Gidea Park
in the peaks). I always felt that Crossrail should effectively be a slightly
larger-scale tube line, rather than a way for long distance trains to cross
London. After all, does anyone really want to go from Southend to Reading?

I do think that an all stops Slough service should be included (and also
that they'd resurrect Maryland); but I disagree that Crossrail should push
too far out of London.

Jonn Elledge