Old October 3rd 06, 03:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Earl Purple Earl Purple is offline

Default Congestion charge questions

Tom Anderson wrote:
Evening all,

Firstly, what, if any, effect has the charge had on safety? Are there
fewer road casualties in central London now? More? Have they been
displaced? Anyone know of any data?

Secondly, why is it being extended westward? Why not to the north, where i
live, so i can ride to work more easily? Is the west more congested, or
more in need of better bus services? Or does Ken just like people in the
west more? Or particularly hate western drivers?

It does make some sense for an extension Westbound to cover the whole
of Travelcard Zone 1 and at least the whole of the Circle Line. Pushing
the boundary all the way to Harlesden (near Willesden Junction station)
seems a bit extreme (unless they've changed the boundary). And does
this all mean that Harrow Road and Scrubs Lane will become primary
because neither of them are now.

If I were to extend I would have make Sussex Gardens and then Bayswater
Road up to Holland Park, possibly Kensington Church Street although the
capacity on there is bad enough without making it a boundary road so
maybe just follow the A402 to the big roundabout just East of Shepherds
Bush Green.

Hyde Park itself I would not have inside the zone.

If it were to be extended North the only conceivable border I can see
is A400 to Camden, A503 Camden Road, A1 Holloway Road and possibly
A1200.

The problem is that those who live just outside the boundary will not
be able to drive to facilities just inside without paying the charge.
And therefore those business just inside that rely on customers who
drive (and some goods are too heavy to shop without a car) will lose
business.

For example, I live just outside of the North Circular and if they ever
decided to make that road a charging boundary zone, we would have to
pay the charge if ever we wanted to shop just inside during the
charging hours.