Old October 5th 06, 11:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london
John Rowland John Rowland is offline

Default Strand Underpass

Peter Frimberley wrote:
On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:07:45 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

While I can see that capacity problems at the Strand/Lancaster Place
junction might be an argument for the underpass to be
northbound-only during the morning rush-hour, and possibly the
evening rush hour too, it seems obvious to me that it should be
southbound-only at all other times.

The queues on Waterloo Bridge were very often horrific both day and
night during the late summer when the underpass was closed for the
ramp to be rebuilt (I'm not sure if it's reopened yet as I'm not
working down there at the moment). You cannot have experienced those
queues or you would not be making this suggestion!

You're right, I didn't, but the jams were perhaps caused by failure to
temporarily modify the traffic lights to cope with the increased northbound
traffic, rather than the fact that there was too much traffic for the
physical layout.