Old October 5th 06, 03:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Congestion charge questions

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, Earl Purple wrote:

The issues are not so much with those in the zone but with those just
outside who now have to pay the full charge to access what is inside.
Perhaps the solution is to have multiple charging zones, give residents
totally free access to their own zone and any immediate neighbouring
one, thus you have to cross through 2 zone boundaries before you have to
pay.

Makes sense - although having a you-count-as-residents neutral zone around
a charging zone has much the same effect.

An example of a facility across the boundary is the Brunswick Shopping
Centre around Marchmont Street, WC1. This is just inside and used to
have (don't know if it's still there) a big supermarket.

There is - it recently reopened as a Waitrose. I bought a couple of
bottles of Bordeaux blanc there only this week.

Those who lived in Somers Town would probably have used it. Now those
who live in Somers Town would probably go up to the Sainsbury's in
Camden or the Morrison's in Chalk Farm instead.

You're kidding, right? It's a straightforward walk, or a few minutes on a
bus. Driving there from Somers Town would be insane, even without the
charge.

I'd like to mention the system I saw in Madrid: bodies on the ground
enforcing local access only for locals and limited deliveries - but
there's no profit in that scheme is there?

Not sure I like the idea either. Taking away people's freedom.

Sigh. Taking away one set of people's freedom to drive their cars wherever
they like, and bringing a new freedom to walk to another, larger, set of
people. I'd be in favour of that.

tom

--
see im down wid yo sci fi crew