Old October 5th 06, 07:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
John B John B is offline

Default Expanded Thames Clipper Service

Dave Arquati wrote:
I hope the association with the Dome doesnt end up cursing the Clipper
service

As do I - used it once or twice and it's great. It would be good if
TfL bought a load of new boats themselves and made it a full part of
the Travelcard system.

The Assembly members at the GLA have a habit of bringing this up with
TfL, forgetting about it and repeating the cycle every year or so. The
essential point is that Thames river boat services are expensive to run,
and if TfL either ran them itself or allowed the use of Travelcards, the
subsidy per passenger would be very high (much more so than for any
other mode) and it would not be good value for money.

Who subsidises them currently, then?

I'm told that the tidal nature of the Thames has an adverse impact on
the cost of running the services, although I admit to some trouble
understanding this.

Extra fuel? Longer journey times so extra boats required?

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org