Old October 6th 06, 09:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Colum Mylod Colum Mylod is offline

Default Congestion charge questions

On 5 Oct 2006 09:39:51 -0700, "Earl Purple"
wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
So Colum, how many people get to Oxford Street by car, then?

Many did before the congestion charge zone was brought in. There is a
car-park at Cavendish Square and meters on many of the side roads. I
did notice in February 2003 how much easier it became to find a meter.

I still use car to get to Oxford Street to shop on bank holidays when
parking is free and there is no congestion charge.

Fully agree. When we go by car (3 of us) parking on single yellows in
Westminster was the thing to do on Sundays and you would need to get
in 12ish or all spaces were gone.

People who drive on Saturdays do use the car parks despite outrageous
prices. Much of that shopping market are not price sensitive or they'd
be filling the pound shops on the delightful Hounslow High St instead.

The Oxford St tram report does have details on fears for a decline in
the street's fortunes due to White City. I would expect comparisons
with Bluewater to hold up: tons more cars that would otherwise never
think of W12 will be piling in. Not the end of the world as we know it
but also not promising when the cry is all about global warming etc.
--
Old anti-spam address cmylod at despammed dot com appears broke
So back to cmylod at bigfoot dot com