Old October 6th 06, 11:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Heathrow to Blackheath?

Paul Corfield wrote:
On 6 Oct 2006 14:31:31 -0700, "Jkf" wrote:

I'm trying to do something that may be impossible...help would be
appreciated. I will be arriving Friday night at Heathrow in a few
weeks. I imagine I'll be out of customs by 10:00 pm. Is there any way
I can arrive in Blackheath, where I will be staying by 11:00 pm? Here
are some questions...

The TfL Journey Planner says you can make the trip in 1hr 6 mins which I
think is pretty good for late evening. I cannot see a cab beating that
sort of time because it can be a long slog just to Central London from
Heathrow and there are no real fast routes through South London and the
trip you are making is a long one by road.

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/use...T2?language=en

1. If I got a cab at the airport, how long would it take and about how
much would that cost (approximately) to get to Blackheath? (I'm afraid
to hear the answer, because I recall that cabs in London were a King's
ransom.)

No idea about taxis - never use them. I understand cabs from Heathrow
will charge you a premium. You may also struggle to get one to take you
to Blackheath as opposed to Central London.

2. Can I take either the Heathrow Express or the Underground at
Heathrow and get off someplace in London from which I could get a cab?
What stop would I get out at? Would this save time or money? Would it
be safe?

Why get a cab? - trains and tube will get you there quickly

Heathrow will be busy, Paddington will be busy and Central London will
be busy on a Friday night. It is very unlikely anywhere will feel
unsafe.

3. Does the Heathrow Express make stops between the Airport and
Paddington? Where do you catch the Picadilly Line at Heathrow?

The Journey Planner recommends you take HEX from Heathrow T123 (I made
that assumption - the journey will be slightly longer if you are landing
at Terminal 4 and would take the train from there). Note that HEX
charges a premium fare so you will pay for the fast and comfortable
journey. It takes 17 minutes and is non stop to Paddington. This is the
22.02 departure from Heathrow T123 HEX station arriving at Paddington at
22.19. You will arrive at platforms 6 or 7 in the main line (above
ground station). Follow the signs for "Underground" - there is a big
entrance heading down off the main concourse. There are escalators and
steps. The underground ticket office / machines are on your left. The
ticket gates are in front of you - once through them follow the signs
for the brown Bakerloo line. This is to your left, down a corridor, into
another ticket hall and there are escalators heading downstairs. At the
bottom you want the right hand platform and the train destination should
show Elephant and Castle. This train will take you to Charing Cross.

From Paddington you will need to take the Southbound Bakerloo Line (any
train from that platform) to Charing Cross. Journey Planner says there
is a train at 22.28 - trains are very frequent though. When getting off
the tube follow the Way Out signs and then the signs for Charing Cross
Main Line Station (Signed as National Rail).

At Charing Cross Tube you come up an escalator into the ticket hall.
Once through the gates turn to your right and make sure you follow the
signs for the Main Line Station. There is a big underground subway
complex here and it is easy to get lost - however there will be a decent
flow of people heading this way. There is an escalator to take you up
into the main line station.

In Charing Cross you will take a train to Blackheath. This is the 22.49
departure - its final destination will be Dartford so look for that and
the time on the departure boards to find your platform. Charing Cross
is a busy but compact station - there are not many platforms to choose
from. Your train will arrive at Blackheath at 23.08.

Now the one thing I am not sure about is whether you can buy one ticket
all the way through from Heathrow on HEX plus the tube plus the train to
Blackheath. It will be convenient if you can but I think HEX is
separately ticketed from the rest of the main line network - I'm sure
someone "in the know" will pop up. My best recommendation is to at
least ask at Heathrow HEX station as to whether they can sell you a
through ticket all the way - their website is silent about this. If they
cannot then buy a single to Paddington. At Paddington Tube Station ask
for a through single ticket to Blackheath at the ticket office - they
should be able to sell you one. The National Rail website says the
ticket should cost £5.40.

http://nationalrail.co.uk/index.html

What you have not said is how encumbered you will be. If you have 27
suitcases with you then the above route will be difficult as there are
escalators and stairs to deal with at each of the stations. If you are
not too encumbered then you should be fine.

I can't do any more detail than the above (!) so I hope you find it
useful.
--
Paul C

Just an extra thought about changing with luggage. Charing Cross and
London Bridge will both be horrible interchanges, although Bakerloo to
Jubilee is very easy at Baker Street.

London Bridge is thoroughly horrible and you have to walk miles.

Charing Cross because you are arriving on the Bakerloo. The Bakerloo
really calls at the old Trafalgar Square station. The first escalator
takes you up to Trafalgar Square, but the National Rail signs take you
along a passage under the Strand so that you come up under Charing
Cross after a long walk.

So I wonder if it might be slightly better to do the Baker Street
change and get out at Southwark instead, where the walk to Waterloo
East isn't as long as either Charing Cross or London Bridge I think.
Trains are timetabled to depart Waterloo East three minutes after
Charing Cross.