Old October 7th 06, 01:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Londoncityslicker Londoncityslicker is offline

Default Heathrow to Blackheath?

Jkf wrote:
I'm trying to do something that may be impossible...help would be
appreciated. I will be arriving Friday night at Heathrow in a few
weeks. I imagine I'll be out of customs by 10:00 pm. Is there any way
I can arrive in Blackheath, where I will be staying by 11:00 pm? Here
are some questions...

1. If I got a cab at the airport, how long would it take and about how
much would that cost (approximately) to get to Blackheath? (I'm afraid
to hear the answer, because I recall that cabs in London were a King's
ransom.)

2. Can I take either the Heathrow Express or the Underground at
Heathrow and get off someplace in London from which I could get a cab?
What stop would I get out at? Would this save time or money? Would it
be safe?

3. Does the Heathrow Express make stops between the Airport and
Paddington? Where do you catch the Picadilly Line at Heathrow?

I look forward to receiving information.

Thank you.

JKF

Heathrow to Blackheath in an hour would be a struggle by any mode of
transport. More like 1:30 on a good day. And probably closer to 2 hours
in reality.

Depending on terminal it can take about 15 minutes just to get from the
exit of customs to either the Underground or Heathrow Express.

Suggestions above are fine. Although I would think the cabbie would
have to go some speed and know his way around to get to Blackheath in
1hr. So you'll have to tell them you want to get there by 11pm and let
them know you are in a rush.

BTW. Why do you so urgently need to get to Blackheath for 11?

Anyway, another possible route not mentioned and a good alternative
Heathrow route period is to travel via Feltham. 285 bus or cab ride to
Feltham is no more than 5-10 minutes.
Then fast train to Waterloo. Walk over to Waterloo East and the train
to Blackheath.
Zone 1-6 travelcard will do you for the journey so it's the same price
as the choob if you take the 285 bus.
Trains will be fairly empty and SWT trains have nice new airconditioned
rolling stock.
Same amount of changes as the tube in central london and probably less
stressful.

A.