Old October 8th 06, 09:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
SamB SamB is offline

Default Student Oyster discount scheme

My university now uses the scheme where you fill in the form online,
which would appear to be easier. Haven't done it myself yet, as I'm
moving abroad. Don't know how it work with regard to authorisation from
the college.

What is frustrating is that, if one has a Student Oystercard, it cannot
be renewed, instead, you must get a new one.

Nicholas wrote:
On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 20:51:49 +0100, "Tim Roll-Pickering"
wrote:

Currently to apply a student has to first enrol for the year, then get hold
of a discount form, fill it out & add a photo, get it stamped and signed by
an authority in the university, then send it off to Hull and wait two weeks
for either the card to arrive or a rejection letter.

Indeed, this has always been a problem. You can't get an application
form authorised until you enrol (understandably) and by that time it's
already mid September or later.

Some universities that are part of the ULU (University of London
Union) used to issue these Student Photocards themselves but I don't
think they do anymore since the introduction of Oyster it all gets
issed in Hull or whereever (probably same place as the new 16-17 and
Child Oyster Photocards).

It's quite easy to get the form wrong and not realise this until the
rejection comes, whilst the annual expirary at the end of September causes a
mass rush of renewals at the start of the term, as everyone tries to get
their new card before the old one expires.

Well, if I can remember correctly when the scheme first launched, the
cards used to expire on 30th July which meant having to pay adult
rates for the first few weeks of term while waiting for the new card.
At least now it gives you a bit of a buffer and discounted travel
through the summer.

Furthermore the discount is 30% off weekly or longer travelcards when many
students would benefit much more from a discount on daily tickets

Agreed this does seem strange as there are discounted Oyster PAYG
rates for 16-17 and Child Oyster photocards. At least you now entitled
to Travelcards and not 'LT Cards' in the first few years of the scheme
which was a major limitation (not valid on National Rail).

(Also not being able to use a YPR
when buying travelcards from most outlets is a pain.)

All National Rail ticket offices and London Underground stations
should be able to issue you a Railcard discounted all zones Day
Travelcard at £4.80, but if you are not travelling on National Rail
and not across all zones ) it may be cheaper to just PAYG using
Oyster capping, but you probably know that already.

Nicholas