Old October 8th 06, 10:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tim Roll-Pickering Tim Roll-Pickering is offline

Default Student Oyster discount scheme

Nicholas wrote:

Indeed, this has always been a problem. You can't get an application
form authorised until you enrol (understandably) and by that time it's
already mid September or later.

Some universities that are part of the ULU (University of London
Union) used to issue these Student Photocards themselves but I don't
think they do anymore since the introduction of Oyster it all gets
issed in Hull or whereever (probably same place as the new 16-17 and
Child Oyster Photocards).

By comparison the new NUS Extra card which was launched this year requires
an online application, with many students' unions setting up computers to
take the pictures, and then the card is delivered to the SU who must verify
the student's card there and then. As a result you can apply even before
re-enrolling for the year (if your student ID number is carried forward) and
also you walk away from applying knowing that it's all in order.

As far as I know ULU and UofL college SUs no longer issue the cards
themselves. Until 2004-2005 the card was a separate photocard but from
2005-2006 it's been a Oyster with a photo printed on it, which has the
discount switched off at the end of September and can be used as a standard
Oyster.

Ideally I'd like to see TfL at either enrolments (although most returning
QMUL undergrad and masters students enrol online) or Freshers' Fairs, where
the applications could be processed onsite, but at the very least something
like the NUS Extra set-up would work.

Well, if I can remember correctly when the scheme first launched, the
cards used to expire on 30th July which meant having to pay adult
rates for the first few weeks of term while waiting for the new card.
At least now it gives you a bit of a buffer and discounted travel
through the summer.

Yes - nice of them to remember that for many students the summer is a
crucial period. (I spent one summer travelling almost dfaily to Colindale to
research my MA dissertation.) Another sore point was the scheme was only
available to 18-24 year olds. So much for support for widening participation
and lifelong learning!

(Also not being able to use a YPR
when buying travelcards from most outlets is a pain.)

All National Rail ticket offices and London Underground stations
should be able to issue you a Railcard discounted all zones Day
Travelcard at £4.80, but if you are not travelling on National Rail
and not across all zones ) it may be cheaper to just PAYG using
Oyster capping, but you probably know that already.

True - but a) the Underground ticket machines don't offer this (or even tell
you that you need to go to the very busy manned window); b) I suspect a lot
of ticket staff don't know this and c) I doubt many YPR holders know it
either. Away from this group I've never seen anything telling me this is
possible. (I would test it but I live in a NR area and the season ticket
means I haven't needed to buy a day travelcard in over two years.)