Old October 9th 06, 12:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Student Oyster discount scheme

SamB wrote:

My university now uses the scheme where you fill in the form online,
which would appear to be easier. Haven't done it myself yet, as I'm
moving abroad. Don't know how it work with regard to authorisation from
the college.

What is frustrating is that, if one has a Student Oystercard, it cannot
be renewed, instead, you must get a new one.

Only some institutions are participating in online Student Oystercard
applications, but I'm sure the number will go up. You have to send them
a digital photo - is that one supplied by your uni, say the same one
they use on your uni student card - or can you provide one of your own?

There's some more information on this scheme he
General introduction -
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...06/general.asp
FAQs - https://photocard2.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gotoFaq.do

It does sound a bit wasteful that you can't renew your Student
Oystercard - but that said the system does need to remain as secure and
fraudproof as possible. There would be a massive queue of non-student
lining up to take advantage of any vulnerability and benefit from the
30% discount. The non-renewability probably counters the possibility of
such fraud.

Incidentally, I've never actually inspected a Student Oyster closely -
alongside the photo what else does it have printed on it - name, expiry
date, university attended?

(Tip regarding usenet convention - try and avoid "top-posting" and
instead put your comments underneath the quoted text of the post you're
replying to - it makes everything a bit easier.)