Old October 9th 06, 11:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london
John B John B is offline

Default Memo to Northern Line Controller

alex_t wrote:
Why do the Northern Line controllers let this sort of situation arise?
It was very annoying for me, but it could have been so easily rectified
by rerouting a couple of the trains via Bank.

I think the better question is why didn't they split it into 2 separate
lines?

Because that would make Camden (even) unsafe(r) in the peaks and
weekend afternoons. Until Camden Town is rebuilt, the Northern Line
can't feasibly be split (Kennington is less of a problem, but I think
the peak loads even there might cause problems).

Unfortunately, assorted local NIMBYs are being troublesome about the
Camden Town redevelopment - apparently the scheme might displace the
vendors of pirated CDs and poorly-stitched T-shirts in the pikey Buck
Street market near the station (NB not the rather more worthwhile Lock
Market). So it's been rejected and is in limbo for the time being, as
are Northern Line commuters.

(see he http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/62 ; see also the
Thameslink 2K+n enquiry for other deranged "who gives a monkey's about
transport links when we've got a market to preserve?" NIMBYism holding
up essential public transport projects).

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org