Old October 9th 06, 12:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] patrick1971@gmail.com is offline

Default Memo to Northern Line Controller

John B wrote:
alex_t wrote:
I think the better question is why didn't they split it into 2 separate
lines?

Because that would make Camden (even) unsafe(r) in the peaks and
weekend afternoons. Until Camden Town is rebuilt, the Northern Line
can't feasibly be split (Kennington is less of a problem, but I think
the peak loads even there might cause problems).

Unfortunately, assorted local NIMBYs are being troublesome about the
Camden Town redevelopment

IIRC the main problem they had was that the proposed development was
out of scale (and it certainly looks it in the first picture on the
alwaystouchout link, less so in the second). Camden Town really needs
a Mile End style flat, open platform interchange, with the two
northbound branches sharing one platform, and the other platform having
trains going southwards from both sides. I suppose the reason above
ground demolition would be "needed" is access and, maybe, to pay for
the whole redevelopment in the form of property sale & rental.

Patrick