Old October 9th 06, 05:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mike Hughes Mike Hughes is offline

Default Heathrow to Blackheath?

In message . com,
NewsPosting writes
There is a local (licensed) mini-cab company called LHR Cars that have
a good system. You pre-book with them giving approx arrival time. When
you arrive in the baggage hall, give them a call and they will pick you
up once you get out. Sometimes there is bit of a palaver about the
pickup (i.e. how to recognise their car and how they spot you),

Which is where the touts are ready to pounce. That's why it's safer to
use a proper licensed taxi from the rank which is controlled by the BAA
agents.

Since the licensing of minicabs the advice about their prices is no
longer as clear cut as some would believe. Many of them charge more -
and in some cases a lot more - than the metered rate. Their prices have
risen because they have found that licensing involves costs which the
traditional taxis have always had (proper insurance, vehicle testing,
PCO costs, etc). There is also a reduction in the numbers of minicab
drivers as previously many of them were working outside of any legal
framework. To attract people and keep them operators are having to put
up their prices.

Basically, if it seems very cheap there is every chance that the driver
and/or vehicle may not be properly licensed and insured.

I believe that the OP is a female who *may* be coming to the UK for the
first time (correct me if I'm wrong please). In these circumstances I'd
suggest that she uses a taxi rather than any minicab company as she
doesn't have any knowledge about them. If she's able to get one from
*personal* recommendation (rather than off this thread) then she *may*
wish to use them - but can she be sure it's properly licensed and
insured?

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England