Old October 9th 03, 01:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
Buster Buster is offline

Default Britains Crap Roads, Answers wanted

How about spending some of the money that is currently being extorted
from car drivers on something completely radical like building new
underground roads similar to the ones in Bruges Belgium.

We are constantly being stuffed for more any more cash to subsidize
harebrained council schemes none of which improve our lives at all.

Surely if engineers 120 years ago can build the London underground
railway system, we in the 21st century can build
an underground road system.

For those that have not visited Bruges, let me describe a car journey
to that city.

We arrived on the Sea Cat (The Vomit Comet) at Ostend and drive 13
miles to Bruges where you are directed down a tunnel some miles out
of the city. After driving some distance underground, you are directed
into giant car parks and take the lift back to daylight, where you
arrive in the middle of a huge town square with Bars and restaurants
around the edge, and the latest shops within a short walk.
No Stress at all.

Compare this with a trip to London where parking meters earn more that
a worker's minimum hourly wage and everything is designed to give the
maximum stress and the minimum value.

We need some new thinking on this. Public transport is not the answer,
and not everyone can cycle to work.

Jeff

Hello, Jeff.

As a reasonably frequent visitor to Brugge, I think your recollection is a
little incorrect. The car park you describe is in the T'zand square. It is a
fairly normal underground car park as seen elsewhere in the world including
London. The car park is very conveniently located, being only a five minute
walk from the city centre, but is not anything special.

The only difference is that the entrance and exit into the car park is from
the sides of a fairly short 250 metre road tunnel which passes under the
T'zand square. The entrances and exits to the car park have very sharp
curves indeed!

Buster