Old October 9th 03, 02:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
JohnB JohnB is offline

Default Britains Crap Roads, Answers wanted

Buster wrote:

How about spending some of the money that is currently being extorted
from car drivers on something completely radical like building new
underground roads similar to the ones in Bruges Belgium.

Or investing more in a good reliable PT system.

For those that have not visited Bruges, let me describe a car journey
to that city.

We arrived on the Sea Cat (The Vomit Comet) at Ostend and drive 13
miles to Bruges where you are directed down a tunnel some miles out
of the city. After driving some distance underground, you are directed
into giant car parks and take the lift back to daylight, where you
arrive in the middle of a huge town square with Bars and restaurants
around the edge, and the latest shops within a short walk.
No Stress at all.

None? You jest.
Now had you jumped on Eurostar and simply crossed platforms in Brussels it is
likely you would have ha a much more pleasant journey. Just think, not having
to queue at the ferry port or having to drive. You even admit the crossing is
less than enjoyable.
Instead, you could relax with a book and a meal, or enjoy a snooze.

We need some new thinking on this. Public transport is not the answer,

It goes towards providing it. More roads don't.

and not everyone can cycle to work.

Many more can. They could try walking too.
Did you note the number of cycles in Bruges, and how they could use one-way
streets in the opposite direction to motor vehicles?
And did you see all the bike racks - thousands outside the railway station
where buses and trains meet each other.
And did you see the number of buses and the cheap all-town daily tickets or the
low cost all Belgium train passes?

As a reasonably frequent visitor to Brugge, I think your recollection is a
little incorrect. The car park you describe is in the T'zand square. It is a
fairly normal underground car park as seen elsewhere in the world including
London. The car park is very conveniently located, being only a five minute
walk from the city centre, but is not anything special.

Quite.

John B