Old October 11th 06, 09:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london
TheOneKEA TheOneKEA is offline

Default ELLX uses for Broad Street route

On Oct 11, 9:27 am, "Mizter T" wrote:
I definitely wouldn't say the passenger numbers at London Bridge would
go into freefall after the ELLX has opened: it's a very busy station
for city commuters; the ELLX will only run down the line to Croydon -
true, some pax from the Dartford lines could change at New Cross, but
people often prefer not to change trains (esp. during rush hour) and
there will probably be a time penalty in doing this; most importantly
going via Shoreditch High Street will deliver them to the north of the
City - for many, London Bridge and Cannon Street will remain more
convenient termini.

True - I suppose it was a bit much to say that they would go into
freefall, but I would have expected that the provision of bus services
headed directly into the northern and eastern City quadrants from the
ELLX would make it attractive for a significant portion of City
commuters. Earlier comments about new construction spreading the City
to the north and east would seem to add to this.

Some will switch to the ELLX to Shoreditch, but (obviously) only if
it's more convenient. So instead I'd say a bit of pressure could be
taken off London Bridge. The CTRL-DS will also take a further bit of
pressure off London Bridge (probably), though the jury is till very
much out on what effect these new fast train services from Kent will
have on travelling patterns.

True. I doubt even the people of Kent know what effect the CTRL-DS will
have on traveling patterns.