Old October 11th 06, 10:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Smith Martin Smith is offline

Default ELLX uses for Broad Street route

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 00:57:38 +0100, Tim Roll-Pickering
wrote:
Mizter T wrote:

I can't recall all the details about the messy extended closure of the
line in the 90's,

Wasn't it a combination of upgrading the tunnel under the Thames, combined
with building Canada Water?

Well it was primarily to deal with the tunnel, but during that time various
parties involved got into a number of arguments about the best way to deal
with it, I can't now remember precisely who it was, but we all (ie us users
and interested observers) came to the conclusion that Brunel obviously knew
a great deal more about tunneling than they did.
Canada Water came later, or was opened to the public some time after the line
reopened.
The replacement bus service was comprised of the now no longer seen Hoppers
with their very bouncy suspension, and those of us who had previously used
NXG had to make our own way to Surrey Quays to get one.
Still I am hopeful that now we have TfL it may work out somewhat better.

--
Martin Smith