Old October 11th 06, 07:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Frimberley Peter Frimberley is offline

Default Oyster travelcard recharge

On 11 Oct 2006 09:21:53 -0700, "
wrote:

I added on £10 credit to my pay-as-you go card earlier this week at
Fulham BRoadway (the station I had nominated) but made no journey from
that station - and have now discovered that £1 has bee deducted from
my card!

This is outrageous.

If you knew you were going to the station, but also there was a chance
you might not be making a journey from it (a stated requirement of
online manual topup) why did you not just take your £10 note or use
your credit card at one of the ticket machines in the station, and
forget about the online topup?

When I asked how else I could have credited my card the station
assistant at Bow Road today said that I'd best queue at the station
ticket office when I want to credit pay as you go! Just the very thing
I am trying to avoid (as others have stated)!

Why not use the machines?

What a bloody ridiculous system. Why, if the system shows that I have
not "touched out" at any station, does it not refund the £1 initially
debited automatically, say after 2 hours?

Because that would be a fare-dodgers paradise, as you well know if you
would think about it for a second.